NATIONAL HOUSEHOLD TARGETING SYSTEM FOR POVERTY REDUCTION
What is the NHTSPR?
An information management system that identifies who and where the poor households are in the region and in the whole Philippines. A system for generating and establishing a socio-economic database of poor households.
Why do we need the National Household Targeting System?
- Ensure that the limited resources of the different social protection agencies reach the poorest of the poor.
- Improve coordination among social protection agencies
- Unify criteria for the selection of the poorest population
What are the objectives of NHTS-PR?
- To formulate and unify criteria for the identification of the poorest population through scientific means;
- To establish an objective and transparent database of socio-economic variables of households;
- Use the database in identifying beneficiaries of social protection programs of the government and other stakeholders; and
- To reduce leakage or inclusion of the non-poor and under-coverage or exclusion of the poor in availing social protection programs and services.
Who will benefit from the NHTS-PR?
Other than the actual poor themselves, the database on poor households will benefit government and other stakeholders engaged in the delivery of social protection programs and projects by having focused targeting. The stakeholders, as data-users can access and utilize data generated from NHTS-PR.
The NHTS-PR Project Cycle
(The process in identifying who and where the poor are)
A. The Enumeration Process
All provinces, cities and municipalities are covered by the NHTS-PR, However, household assessment was conducted in phases. Prioritization was done using the NSCB classification of provinces, cities and municipalities using Poverty Incidence data.
B. Data collection
Household enumeration in CY 2009 covering all barangays in all municipalities and cities.
On-Demand Application (ODA) in CY 2010 where poor househouls (HHs) not covered during the regular enumeration applied for household assessment in order to be included in the database of poor HHs.
In either of these two (2) strategies, information is collected through home visits and interview with an eligible respondent using the Household Assessment Form (HAF).
C. Data Entry
Data is encoded and entered into the Management Information System (MIS). A statistical formula is used to approximate income to determine the poor using socio-economic variables that would predict income and allow for objective classification of households into poor and non-poor.
D. Determination of Poverty Status
Once the data is entered in the MIS, the list of poor households will be determined through the application of the Proxy Means Test (PMT) using the indicators found in the HAF.
Proxy variables were selected from the analysis of data of two main surveys produced by the NSO-the Family Income and Expenditures Survey (FIES) and Labor Force Survey (LFS).
E. Validation and Finalization
The Local Verification Committees (LVCs) are organized by the Local Chief Executive through the issuance of an Executive Order to review and validate the preliminary results of the PMT. This is the Project’s way of presenting to the LGUs the preliminary list of poor households for them to correct in terms of:
- the inclusion of the non-poor households in the list;
- the exclusion of identified poor households in the list; and
- wrong spelling of the names of poor households
In the first two (2) situation, conduct of a Re-assessment is done to ensure no biases.
ID Card Enrollment
Identification cards shall be provided to each qualified poor household included in the list. The ID Cards include household data and/or profile.
Total Households Assessed
Total Poor Households identified
To request for NHTS-PR Household data and information, please write to:
MA. EVELYN B. MACAPOBRE, CESO III
Department of Social Welfare and Development
Field Offie VI
M.H. del Pilar St., Molo, Iloilo City
“Without data, without facts, without information, any discussion about human condition is just another opinion.”
NOTE: WE ARE HIRING WORKERS FOR RE-ASSESSMENT OF POOR HOUSEHOLDS UNTIL AUGUST 9, 2013. SEE RELATED STORY AT www.fo6.dswd.gov.ph homepage or check out Job opportunities